Re: system requirements for debian

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:57:55 +0000
Bob Hynes <rhynes1@comcast.net> wrote:

> I have debian running on a 500Mhz box with 256MB ram. It's pretty
> slow...slower than windows would be. Is there anyone who know what I
> could be doing to speed things up? turning off services, adding ram? I'm
> also considering tying another version of Linux, but maybe this box is
> just too slow at 500Mhz?
>

> --

I have Debian stable (sarge) running on a PIII-500MHz with 128MB RAM and it works just fine. If you did a pure 'Desktop' install you shouldn't have unneeded services, but you might want to try using some Desktop lighter than KDE or Gnome. My favorite is IceWM (experimental). It can be tweaked a lot, just install ice-prefs and ice-me if you want to change preferences/edit the menu from a graphical tool.

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)