Re: system requirements for debian

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 01:57:55PM +0000, Bob Hynes wrote:
> I have debian running on a 500Mhz box with 256MB ram. It's pretty
> slow...slower than windows would be. Is there anyone who know what I
> could be doing to speed things up? turning off services, adding ram? I'm
> also considering tying another version of Linux, but maybe this box is
> just too slow at 500Mhz?

Depends on your use of the box.  I have Debian on my firewall/gateway--
a 486 with 48 Mb RAM, and it runs perfectly well for those demands.

If you run an environment like KDE or Gnome, you will suffer from the
overhead they demand.

The distro you choose is less likely to make a difference than the
environment you operate under in X (since it's Linux under the hood,
that is relatively unchanged, though modules may make a difference).
Of course, we don't know which kernel you are using, nor the processor/
other harware under this hood.

You say nothing about any of this, so you won't likely get a lot of
specific help.

Not that it matters really, but do you actually run Windoze on the
machine, or is that statement less a measured fact than conjecture?  My
work box in Windoze land _should_ be faster than my old Athlon at home,
but the home machine blows away the work machine.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,