Reset of limits during login

Hi all,

using Debian 3.1 on an Opteron system I noticed the following:

$ ulimit -t 55
$ ulimit -aH
cpu time             (seconds, -t) 55
$ dchroot
Executing shell in 'ia32' chroot.
$ ulimit -aH
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited

Is this intended - or where can I change it to keep the inherited limits? The main reason for this investigation is the loss of limits with SUN GridEngine (SGE) on Debian, while it is working as intended on SuSE. An *interactive* qrsh on Debian will get no limits (although defined in SGE), and it looks to me like it's the same issue in the end. Batch job limits are enforced also on Debian, where they work fine.

Cheers - Reuti