Problem upgrading bsdgames

Hi. I began to upgrade to testing from stable. Things went fine until it
got to the bsdgames package. Installing it locks the system hard, and the
installation does not finish. The developer said that bsdgames could not
have caused a lockup, and that it probably came from a kernel or hardware
bug. Irregardless, now I have a package in a "very bad inconsistent state".
Reinstalling it does not work, nor does removing or purging it, using any
of the package tools. apt-get gives this:

dpkg: error processing bsdgames (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
  what():  basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid
 bsdgames

I have a few other problems, but let's tackle one at a time. Can anyone
suggest what to do? I either need to use the older one that worked, figure
out what causes the lockup and use the new one, remove it, or just try to
put it on hold so it won't even deal with it for now. Oh also, putting the
package on hold didn't seem to do much either. The upgrade will not
continue until I overcome this. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

--
Austin Seraphin - au@sunbeem.net
SunbEEm Solutions - Every Thing Has a Solution!

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
   relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."
   Richard P. Feynman