Re: Re: Fwd: DEVFS Or UDEV On 2.6.15-1-686 Kernel

Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net> writes:

Please someone: Do I have to use udev with 2.6.15
kernels?  If not, how to get devfsd to work? Lilo
had
the mount devfs command for linux image in the
config
file.

devfs is no longer supported in the later 2.6 series.  I'm not sure if
you have to use udev, but it's a huge advantage if you do (I think
hotplug works better with udev, but not sure)

--
John L. Fjellstad

Thanks for the reply; first one of 3 posts this month. I forgot to say
"copy my email address" so this reply may not come out right. This problem
relates to an earlier post regarding installing hcfpcimodem-1.08full.deb
where the output indicates that the modem is not recognized. I think I'll
install udev on the 2.6.15 kernel but wonder if it will affect using devfs
on the 2.6.8 kernel on the same machine. Had trouble with udev in past and
the 2.6.8 kernel is the only one I can get on line with so I don't want to
mess it up with udev.  Also, I guess I should remove the mount devfs command
out of lilo.conf for the 2.6.15 kernel. Another issue with the driver installation
on the 2.6.15 kernel is the use of gcc-3.3 instead of gcc-4.0 in the compile
although gcc-4.0 is installed. The post with all the details,

   * *hcfpcimodem_1.08full_i386.deb Fails With SegFault Using
     2.6.15-1-686And gcc-3.3.5
     <http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/01/msg01581.html>*
     /Debian User Leonard Chatagnier/
   * * <http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/01/msg01583.html>*

Is above this one about 3/8 down the page, if you care to comment.
I've been working with Linuxant tech support on this, now using the
.tar.gz driver version and by changing their makefile to use gcc-4.0
instead of gcc, the drivers apparently install but the modem is not
recognized and a proper /dev/modem symlink does exist.  I greatly
appreciate any returned comments on this.

Leonard Chatagnier