Re: Can't use dpkg (and thus apt-get et al.)

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:31:51 -0500
"David R. Litwin" <presently42@gmail.com> wrote:

> The file available.old has an uncorrupted copy. Shall I simply copy the good
> lines in to the file available and save it? The reason I've not yet done so
> is that it says it is a binary file and saving (or is it altering?) could do
> some bad things. But, if you think it is alright, I'll fix it.

I don't know why available would be listed as a binary file. A result of the corruption maybe?

My suggestion, rather than messing around with editing and such, would be to do:

dpkg --clear-avail

: to clear the available list, then do:

apt-get update

: to repopulate it.