Problem compiling affix modules: *** No rule to make target `affix.ko', needed by `all'

I'm using 3.1 stable. I've uninstalled the bluez modules and components.

Here's what happens when I try and compile the affix modules:

#apt-get install affix-headers affix-source affix-common
#cd /usr/src
#tar xvfz affix.tar.gz
#cd linux
#fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=-mppe --added-modules affix modules_image
for module in /usr/src/modules/affix ; do                       \
          if test -d  $module; then                                \
    (cd $module;                                          \
              if ./debian/rules KVERS="2.6.8-mppe" KSRC="/usr/src/linux" \
KMAINT="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer" KEMAIL="
unknown@unconfigured.in.etc.kernel-pkg.conf"      \
                             KPKG_DEST_DIR="/usr/src/linux/.."       \
KPKG_MAINTAINER="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer"
        \
                             KPKG_EXTRAV_ARG="EXTRAVERSION=-mppe"        \
                             ARCH="i386"                  \
                             KDREV="10.00.Custom" kdist_image; then    \
                  echo "Module $module processed fine";            \
              else                                                  \
                   echo "Module $module failed.";                  \
                   if [ "X" != "X" ]; then      \
echo "Perhaps $module does not understand --rootcmd?"; \ echo "If you see messages that indicate that it is not"; \ echo "in fact being built as root, please file a bug "; \
                      echo "against $module.";                     \
                   fi;                                              \
                   echo "Hit return to Continue";                   \
         read ans;                                        \
              fi;                                                   \
     );                                                    \
  else                                                      \
               echo "Module $module does not exist";               \
               echo "Hit return to Continue?";                      \
  fi;                                                       \
        done
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/affix'
dh_testdir
/usr/bin/make -C include all
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/affix/include'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/affix/include'
/usr/bin/make all
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/affix'
Checking kernel checksum ...
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/affix'
Compiling driver and control programs
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/affix/btcore'
make[4]: *** No rule to make target `affix.ko', needed by `all'.  Stop.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/affix/btcore'
make[3]: *** [build] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/affix'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/affix'
make[1]: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/affix'
Module /usr/src/modules/affix failed.
Hit return to Continue

NB /usr/src/linux is a symlink to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8/

I'm using --append-to-version=-mppe because I've previously patched and recompiled my kernel to enable a VPN and my current kernel is called 2.6.8-mppe

I want affix rather than bluez because I'm having no luck connecting to a Nokia phone with the latter and suspect that the affix stack is more Nokia-friendly given that they developed it :)

I've googled to no avail - does anyone here have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Tim