Re: Where to find latest unstable kernel src without messing sarge?

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 18:45 -0500, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > If you intend to generate an initrd image for your kernel, you'll need
> > to backport an unstable initrd generator (such as yaird or initramfs)
> > for it to play nice.
>
> Mmm...  What's the advantage of doing this?  Can I do without?  Ok,
> I've downloaded the latest of both, just in case...

An initrd image is a small ramdisk, which enables the kernel to load
modules without having to mount the partition containing /lib/modules.

This is useful for distributions, as the kernel can remain small and
modular while supporting all possible hardware types. Essentially an
initrd image allows you to generate a "one size fits all" kernel that
will boot on the vast majority of hardware.

If you ensure support for your disk controller is compiled into the
kernel, then there is no real need for an initrd image.

HTH,

--
Adam James <ad@heliosphan.co.uk>

PROOF OF GOD'S EXISTENCE #666: