Re: Where to find latest unstable kernel src without messing sarge?

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 10:35:11PM +0000, Adam James wrote:

Thanks to everyone that replied.  That was quick!  I've downloaded
the kernel from the ftp pool.  I was searching for kernel-source-*,
no wonder I didn' find it.

> > kernel to compile locally.  Is there a way to do this?
>
> You can add the unstable sources to your "sources.list" and add:
>
> APT::Default-Release "stable";
>
> to "/etc/apt/apt.conf". This tells apt to "pin" all packages at their
> stable versions rather than trying to upgrade them.

I didn't realize it was that simple.  I'll definitely do that if I
need more stuff from unstable.

> If you intend to generate an initrd image for your kernel, you'll need
> to backport an unstable initrd generator (such as yaird or initramfs)
> for it to play nice.

Mmm...  What's the advantage of doing this?  Can I do without?  Ok,
I've downloaded the latest of both, just in case...

A.