Re: Where to find latest unstable kernel src without messing sarge?

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 16:41 -0500, A. F. Cano wrote:
> packages.debian.org has been down for quite a few days now and I haven't
> been able to find a way to download kernel-source-2.6.15.whatever.deb,
> presumably the latest kernel package available for unstable.
>
> The temporary/under construction packages page says to use apt, but from
> everything I've been able to figure out this requires changing the
> /etc/apt/sources.list to include unstable and I'd rather keep sarge
> really sarge.  All I want is a place to DL the latest debian source
> kernel to compile locally.  Is there a way to do this?

You can add the unstable sources to your "sources.list" and add:

APT::Default-Release "stable";

to "/etc/apt/apt.conf". This tells apt to "pin" all packages at their
stable versions rather than trying to upgrade them.

Then it's a case of

# apt-get update

followed by

# apt-get -t unstable install linux-source-2.6.15

If you intend to generate an initrd image for your kernel, you'll need
to backport an unstable initrd generator (such as yaird or initramfs)
for it to play nice.

HTH,

--
Adam James <ad@heliosphan.co.uk>