Re: Should I Abandon Mutt and Exim4?

On Thursday, 12 January 2006 at 18:41:52 -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
[...]>
> I have things set up with three fetchmail accounts (two go to
> my mailboxes, one to my wife's), exim4, procmail, spamc/spamd, and
> courier-imap. Of those, the hard parts (in order of difficulty) were:
[...]
> 4) mutt config -- I copied someone else's and gradually customized it. I'm
>                   using m4 cleverness for mailing list subscriptions.

Yes, there are many examples out there to plagiarize.  And I am always
finding new tweaks, and learning how to do the bits I gave up on
previously.  No other MTA gives so much entertainment ;-)

> 5) spamassassin user_prefs -- I shouldn't discount this, since I had
>                               developed it over the course of years on a
>                               system someone else administered, but it was
>                               incremental improvements.

I'd be interested to see the results of such long-considered
improvements (privately if you don't want to post it here). The pressure
is off since I installed greylistd, but I intend to have another go at
spamassassin soon -- my last attempt was abandonned after I brought the
server to its knees!

[...]
> There are some embellishments, such as having three accounts with the same
> UID so that I can receive mail to root on one, mail to my private address
> on another, and mail to my mailing list address on another, each of which
> are separate maildirs that mutt considers mail spools. I could do it with
> procmail, I think, but it's easier (if not simpler) to do it with three
> accounts.

I didn't know that it was possible to share a UID.  I guess I'd have
done that with an /etc/aliases and an exim .forward -- as ever with
*nix, there are many routes to get to any one place.

--
richard