Re: who is r/w-ing my hdd?

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 18:10 +0000, Matthias wrote:
> Subject: who is r/w-ing my hdd?
> Newsgroups: RWTHNEWS:linux.debian.user
>
> Hello,
>
> I am searching the source of some every 2/3 seconds
> happening harddisk read/write operation. It is
> really annoying - even if there is (from my side)
> no system activity at all. I also fear the health
> of my hardware if this cant be settled (may be there
> is no reason to do so - but i cant judge). Up to
> the current point of investigation i blame it to
> the X server (4.3 i guess, the default one...)
> I was using fvwm (no gnome) before and there was
> the same thing going on. Since x server is the only
> thing the both setups have in common this should
> be it. also when i do "/etc/init.d/gdm stop" hdd
> accesses stop, too. I have never witnessed such
> behaviour on any system i was using. So i guess
> there must be something wrong in my setup (i
> am keeping it very much to default). I also tried
> to upgrade to x11.org from backports-sarge at
> www.backports.org with no luck.
>
> my system is up to date using the mirror
> sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
>
> (whatever you call up to date with debian ;-))

How huch RAM & which daemons do you have running?  If your system
is RAM-constrained, it will be page a lot.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Go not unto the Usenet for advice, for you will be told both
yea and nay (and quite a few things that just have nothing at
all to do with the question)."
Unknown