Re: OS X & Debian LAN [was: Mac OS X and Debian Linux LAN research.]

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 03:48:49AM -0500, Chinook wrote:
I've got /netatalk/ installed and minimally configured on Debian and set all the appropriate switches in OS X, and I can look at and move files back and forth from either box if I initiate (mount) the server on my Mac. I have not yet installed Howl (mdnsresponder) on the Debian box as I'm not sure of the benefit................................

Another one of those loooose ends? Just because it bugs me, I've tried several ways of initializing my router to get the Linux box host name to show there.

The dhcp3-client suggestion i mentioned trying earlier didn't help because (according to the docs) such is intended to apply with zones/subnets which I have no need of. It didn't hurt either. I also tried doing the initialization over again with etherconf. It didn't help with the Linux box host name on the router and left me with a problem. When I rebooted Gnome complained that it could not resolve "Gnome.example.com" (close, but from memory) and thus would not be fully functional. I had made my own copies of the various /etc host... files before using etherconf and rolled back to them, but the issue persisted so etherconf directly or indirectly changed something else also (not saying it shouldn't). Next level of roll back was my Mondo system image which is the whole kit and kaboodle.

I no doubt am missing something here. Maybe I should have followed etherconf with some sort of Gnome update or gdm reconfigure, but I forgot to try and I don't find any explanation anywhere. If you have an idea I'm curious :-) The long and short of it is that while Debian does a great deal to protect against dependencies and conflicting software, newbies, intermediates and old duffers can still discover consistency flaws.
Lee C

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. " -- Murphy