Re: FAT patents. Do we need to revive non-US?

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

Unfortunately, my understanding is that M$ intends to enforce this patent. and its not clear to me whether the patent applies to drivers or to the act of writing a FAT system. If it applies to drivers, I think that linux FAT system is a clean-room creation and would probably be okay. If it applies to the act of writing a FAT system (talking outmy FAT *ss here) then nobody can write FAT with out paying their $0.25

I'm sure the anit-monopoly guys will have something to say about this. I think its clearly designed to cut-off linux.

It may require a firm response, like MS having to increase their donations
to the Republicans.

Don't upgrade you're kernel until its settled...

Also, archive your debian box, then reformat and run windows
until this issue is settled.