Re: DRI and XV gone to the doghouse -- inspiron4000

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:49:18 +1100 (EST)
Tim Connors <tconnors@astro.swin.edu.au> wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> I have an Dull Inspiron 4000, which always used to have working DRI and XV
> under kernel 2.4 and XFree86 4.x.  The video card is a Rage 128:

snipping some of this - as I have etch running xorg 6.8 on a Matrox
Millenium AGP - yet I have some of the same problems as you :(.

> Now, after "upgrading", glxinfo and glxgears segfault:

glxgears doesn't segfault, but some other gl using progs (example
stellarium) do - because of some glx visuals coming back "not
supported" and/or "slow" in glxinfo.

dfox@m206-157:~$ glxinfo -b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30

I haven't really tried drirc or trying to configure dri on this system,
and really don't understand how. Another reference system (booting
knoppix and/or mepis) runs stellarium fine - with dri enabled just
fine. But they use Xfree and not Xorg.

 (mplayer output snipped)

> X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

Now that I'm running etch, I'm noticing this more and more often -
almost every instance of mplayer(1) needs -vo x11 to work properly.
Prior to this, I was able to sometimes use -vo xv, or -vo sdl (little
faster) but never -vo mga, which is what I'd prefer to do. Also,
without using an alias, some programs such as kmplayer which depend on
mplayer will silently fail because mplayer(1) fails, because -vo x11 is
not attached.

(mplayer here was compiled from source ---

dfox@m206-157:~$ mplayer -v
MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-3.4.5 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon Thunderbird (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx

> (II) Loading extension XVideo

grepping Xorg.log shows that XVideo gets loaded fine, but mga_hal
module does not load. Dunno if that is important.

Unfortunately, I don't know DRI well enough to figure this out. I
suspect problems WRT some modules in Xorg - at one time (rev 7 I think)
it stopped working -- waiting for it to get fixed :).

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.