Re: dpkg-reconfigure debconf

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:13:03 -0500
"David R. Litwin" <presently42@gmail.com> wrote:

> > ummm... its in your subject line. though you need sudo or to be root.
> >
> > dpkg-reconfigure debconf
> >
> > then select dialog.
>

> If only it were that simplex!
>
> I changed the dialogue to KDE which means it needs X which I un-installed.
> It won't let me reconfigure any thing.
>
> Does that make sense? It's not obvious what the problem is, I know. Bear
> with me.

okay okay I get it. you can't reconfigure debconf because reconfigure wants to use KDE...

well per man debconf, there is more info in debconf(7) part of debconf-doc. apt-get install debconf-doc; man 7 debconf; found this:

passing --frontend= to dpkg-reconfigure will specify the frontend to use. so try

the options are dialog, readline, etc etc.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure debconf --frontend=dialog

should do the trick.

I gotta say that's a really interesting pickle you got into there, but I'm ecstatic that debian thought of a way out of it...