Re: Back to original topic [Was: [Poll: debian-newcomer list [Was: Re: newbies needing help for graphic login]]

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 04:35:22 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimp@rdslink.ro> wrote:

<snippity doo-dah>
> 1. Rewriting the welcome message coupled with some scripts to quickly install a GUI (for the ones who missed the option) or get rid of the newbie welcome
<snippity-ay>
> 3. Have the 'Desktop' task selected by default (and maybe add some warnings to unselecting it). A reboot or "start gdm" (at least as a default option which can be changed) at that point might also be a good idea as base-config exits to a shell.

THe initial startup of a gui, regardless of how its gotten too, should in my opinion bail back to command line and some kind of configuration helper if there is not a user-response within the gui within a pre-set amount of time. This way if the user or installer mis-configures X, they can regain control of the machine and try again. My reasoning is that if we make it easier to get that gui boot first time (as the above items strive to do), then there are more likely going to be problems with that gui boot.