Re: logrotate + mysql = "Help!"

Eric d'Alibut wrote:
> I have a Debian stable install that runs smoothly; uptime is seventy
> three days. Just lately I am getting these system emails:
>
> /etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
> error: error running shared postrotate script for /var/log/mysql.log
> /var/log/mysql/mysql.log /var/log/mysql.err /var/log/mysql/mysql.err
> /var/log/mysql/mysql-slow.log
> run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1
>
> I am clueless as to how to debug this error. I am, in fact, a mysql
> moron. Any input would be appreciated!
>

> --
> No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
> not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely
> because I have a pet halibut?

Eric,

I've had this same error over the last few days.  I believe that there are
binary transaction logs in the /var/log/mysql directory not recognized by mysql.
 Here's how I've fixed it (I'm not SQL guru either, so this probably isn't "by
the book"):
1) I backed up my databases
2) I made a directory called /var/log/mysql/logbackup
3) I stopped mysql (/etc/init.d/mysql stop)
4) I moved all binary logs to the logbackup directory
	HOSTNAME:/var/log/mysql# mv *bin* logbackup/
5) I restarted mysql (/etc/init.d/mysql start)
6) I manually ran the cron job to make sure it did not error

This seems to have done it.  After a day or two, when I'm sure, I'll delete the
logbackup dir I made....

Good Luck :)

Don't everyone thank me at once!
		-- Han Solo