Re: window manager.

On 1/9/06, Mauro Sanna <mauro.sanna@comune.cagliari.it> wrote:
> > I use fluxbox, whether for light wm requirement, and also in my desk.
> > It's easy to config, it's pretty light, but it also allows fancy
> > stuff if you want it to.  For me it's the only wm in all boxes
> > (laptops, desktops, remote connections through VNC, etc.).  There are
> > others also, I've seen messages about icewm lately, but I'm so
> > confortable with fluxbox that I'll hardly change it (besides,
> > debian-hurd doesn't come with it I believe, and I want something
> > comming for both kernels).  fvwm is said to be light with the right
> > configuration, but I just don't like it that much and from my VNC
> > experience (at work I use VNC all day) I feel fluxbox even lighter
> > than fvwm when not using transparency, using light style, etc.
>
> You're using hurd?
> How do you feel with this kernel?
> I don't think is for servers now.

Hurd is not a kernel, mach is the uKernel over which hurd runs, and
debian is in top of hurd, :).  I have it for trial.  Console is OK,
but with X I experienced file system corruption.  In general it's OK,
but I wouldn't trust it reliably.  That's just my opinion though.
Remember the whole hurd is under unstable, and what's not under
unstable is under experimental.  So for sure for reliable server it's
NOT good enough.  Besides mach is pretty picky about hardware
compatibility, :(  But it works, and it's what matters to me (I just
want to be ready for the time hurd gets into a more reliable state,
and it gets more packages in, besides more drivers since most are
missing).  Maybe more usage from others could help get it more stable,
:).  Hurd guys are to change the uKernel from mach to L4, and now they
are thinking about coyotos and another new version of L4 uKernels.  So
all this makes hurd a bit far from what I'd like it to be, but again,
it's usable, specially if you want a trial system plus if you want to
contribute a bit as well, :)

This is an opinion as well as the WM one.  There's another thread
about light applications for lots of things on the archives.  You can
see several recomendations there.  At the end the guy got satisfied
with fvwm, however it's all a matter of tasting.  Anything besides KDE
or Gnome, or enLightenment, sounds reasonably light, I just got stuck
with fluxbox, :)

--  Javier  --