Re: Can't Get Exim4 Setup Right

It seems simple but it doesn't work. I have two mailboxes: mail@tomgeorge.info and lists@tomgeorge.info and a Verizion DSL connection. With Mozilla I can set the outgoing smtp connection as outgoing .verizon.net and send messages back and forth between the two mailboxes. Normally I download the debian-user messages to lists@tomgeorge.info with Fetchmail and read them with Mutt nicely strung together. I want to send messages or reply to messages from Mutt. With dpkg-reconfigure exim4-configure I have:

  Chosen not to split the configuration file
  Chosen mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail
  Set my mail name to tomgeorge.info
  Set IP address to listen to to 127.0.0.1
Left blank the field for which this machine should consider itself the final destination, apart from the local host name (Dragon.Zoo) and "localhost" Left blank the field for the networks of local machines for which you accept to relay mail
  Entered outgoing.verizon.net as the smarthost
  Chose not to hide the local name for outgoing mail
  Did not limit the number of DNS-queries.

With this setup I can apparently send mail from Mutt (it says sent) but if I try to test this by sending an email to mail@tomgeorge.info if never arrives. There is no error message, no returned mail just a confirmation from Mutt that the mail was sent but a Mozilla check for mail@tomgeorge.info finds nothing.

Obviously I can send this message with Mozilla as originating from lists@tomgeorge.info so I have a means to post messages to the debian-user list. The problem is just that if I download and read the messages from the debian-user list with fetchmail and mutt I have no way to respond to them from mutt to preserve the threading by subject. There must be sonething obvious that I have overlooked but I just don't see it.

Tom George

Andrei wrote:

Try #tail /var/log/exim4/mainlog immediately after trying to send a message from Mutt.

I did and found "host outgoing.verizon.net ... Authentication Required." I edited /etc/exim4/passwd.client and added a line outgoing.verizion.net:name:password using, of course, the account name and password. This did not work. I also tried changing outgoing to mail but this too did not work.

Note: This will probably appear as a re-posting as I can only post messages from Mozilla until I solve this problem.

Tom