Which modules?

Now that I can roll my own kernel, got rid of the initrd and all that,
question is how to pare down the number of modules--most of the time spent
compiling the thing is spent on hundreds of modules to support the known
universe. All I need is to support my own computer.

Some things may be simple: I have no nvidia anywhere, no wireless, no HP,
nada. I also have the documentation for my motherboard somewhere--an old
sockitome from the far east. I have lmsensors working so know what modules
are involved. That leaves several hundred more around.

Is there a utility, script, that can tell me what I need and what I should
simply set to "N" instead of "M"? Alternatively, something to tell me what I
am actually using now?