move debian to another machine

Am about to move a mail server to another machine. The new machine has
scsi raid. The default kernel supports the raid. Yeah!  :)

I also would like to keep the compaq diagnostic partition on the new
server. I know ghost would wipe this out.

I'm also aware, grub will be a problem as everything will now be
/dev/sda rather than /dev/hda so I'm looking for thoughts on the easiest
way to handle this.

The new machine has debian sarge freshly installed already if this helps.

Maybe use tar and exclude the grub directory?

Thoughts?

--
Highest Regards,

Rodney Richison