Re: mc not loading and not dying (sid)

On Sunday,  8 January 2006 at 14:45:25 +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (08/01/06 16:13), Linas Zvirblis wrote:
> > Richard Lyons wrote:
[...]
> > >They are still there...
> > >
> > >bordello:/home/richard# killall -9 mc
> > >bordello:/home/richard# ps ax | grep mc
> > >32642 ?        S      0:00 mc
> > >32659 ?        S      0:00 mc
> > >32662 ?        S      0:00 mc
> > >32681 ?        S      0:00 mc
> > >  315 tty2     S+     0:00 mc
> > > 1311 ?        S      0:00 mc
> > > 1525 pts/15   R+     0:00 grep mc
> >
> > Hard to kill bastards aren't they? You might want to reboot before
> > proceeding with the reinstalls. I am not 100% sure The Evil One is
> > acroread, but you should know that OpenOffice can export to PDF and

Yes, I prefer to only load openoffice when I absolutely have to -- it's
so big.  I use it only for other people's stupid .doc files.  Anything
in linux can export to pdf one way or another, so that isn't the
problem.  The difficulty is reading the pdfs that include adobe's latest
gizmos, or certain other features.  I usually use gv, but it barfs at
some files.  I tried eye of gnome yesterday and it froze (hmm... in
hindsight that was the first one to go).

> > Evince is a very nice viewer.

I have used it a couple of times.  Just tried it again and it froze.
Beginning to see a pattern here -- must be something systemic.

> They are both free and do not break stuff.
> xpdf is pretty good

I also use xpdf.  Again, I recollect it doesn't open every pdf
successfully.

I'm going to do a doze-style reboot and see if things stop freezing
up...

Thanks for the help thus far.

--
richard