Re: mc not loading and not dying (sid)

Richard Lyons wrote:

I had not even installed debsums!
Getting it now.

Some packages do not provide checksums (boo to them!), so on your first run debsums can report A LOT of broken packages. It might take very long, but I do suggest you reinstall all of them. The checksums will be generated by debsums on reinstall. Do not forget to check out them manual of debsums.

They are still there...

bordello:/home/richard# killall -9 mc
bordello:/home/richard# ps ax | grep mc
32642 ?        S      0:00 mc
32659 ?        S      0:00 mc
32662 ?        S      0:00 mc
32681 ?        S      0:00 mc
  315 tty2     S+     0:00 mc
 1311 ?        S      0:00 mc
1525 pts/15 R+ 0:00 grep mc

Hard to kill bastards aren't they? You might want to reboot before proceeding with the reinstalls. I am not 100% sure The Evil One is acroread, but you should know that OpenOffice can export to PDF and Evince is a very nice viewer. They are both free and do not break stuff.