Re: mc not loading and not dying (sid)

Richard Lyons wrote:

Anyone else had funny behaviour from mc lately?  I have a recent sid
install with mc 1:1.6.1-1.  It was working yesterday (or maybe the day
before).  Today, when I call it, the terminal (xterm, mrxvt, or in
console, makes no difference) background is blacked, and a small cursor
appears at the end of the first line -- then it freezes and is
unkillable.  I now have six mc processes showing in ps, but cannot
kill any of them.  I haven't updated the system, the only changes I
remember are installing DBI modules and, this morning, acroread.  And
acroread is also freezing if I try to save a file -- on second thoughts,
perhaps this is related.  I've just checked and there are immortal
acroreads in there too.

My bets are on acroread, because:

1) It is not in Debian, so nobody checked for what it does on ones system.
2) Being non-free software it can do whatever weird things it does without you knowing it.

Run debsums and see if it messed up anything and reinstall the affected packages. By the way, there is no such thing as unkillable, "killall -9 mc" and "killall -9 acroread" should get rid of them.