Re: TCP not working over ppp connection (WAS: 5th day using Linux...)

On Friday 06 January 2006 21:16, Tyson Varosyan wrote:
>Tony, I am going to google away on the MTU thing - I do not even know
> what MTU is... However, please note that when I set up routing from
> ppp0 to eth1, the computer connected to Eth1 is a web server and is
> reachable from outside. I will test to see if the web server can pull
> up websites etc...
>
>Far as setting a lowish MTU, you went way over my head. Can you give
> me a bit more of a step-by-step on this? 6th day using Linux :)

MTU is the number of bytes sent in one packet, with 1500 the default.
However, by the time things are translated into the dsl protocol, thre
are only 1492 bytes left to carry the data, so the common practice is
to set the MTU at the interface facing the dsl modem to 1492 rather
than the default 1500.

Normally, you can still connect, but it may be noticeably slow due to
the packet mangling that must be done to break the data up, and put it
back together on the other side.

I'd tell you where to edit to set this, but each distro seems to have
its own favorite file where this is done.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: