From: Andrew Sackville-West [mailto:andrew@farwestbilliards.com]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 9:48 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: TCP not working over ppp connection (WAS: 5th day using
Linux...)

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 02:42:08 -0800
"Tyson Varosyan" <tigran@tigran.com> wrote:

> << snip>>>
>
> ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem (I have to do this only once, otherwise the
> dialer uses device "modem" which is not linked to any actual port)

this is fairly normal stuff here, and should only have to be done once.
because modems can reside at a variety of different /dev/tty*'s the
/dev/modem link typically has to be set up manually (in my experience). The
other alternative is to make your dialer point to /dev/ttyUSB0.

> nano -w /etc/ppp/options
> (I add these because they are not supported by my modem and cause a
> disconnect every 2 minutes) passive silent -all
>
> After all this, I can dial-up using pppd, I get an IP, the connection
seems
> great, I can ping IPs on the Internet and domain names - DNS resolution
> works like a champ, etc.
>
> I have confirmed that all outbound TCP traffic is being somehow blocked
from
> going over ppp0. ICMP works just fine. I think that this is why my dynamic
> DNS services are not working.

I know naught of dynamic-DNS, but is it possible that TCP is being blocked
upstream from you? I wouldn't know how to check this, but maybe the problem
is with your provider and not your configuration?

Also, FTR, your thread showed up buried inside another thread in my mailer
here, which could explain the low-level of response to your problems. If you
don't get much more help in the next day or so, try reposting under a new
subject to get to the top level in people's readers.