Re: need help please

On Tuesday,  3 January 2006 at 23:32:59 -0600, Kent West wrote:
> frederick c woodruff wrote:
>
> >I just started installing sarge on my computer all was going ok untill I
> >did the log in,did ok untill at the bottom of page it askes something
> >@debian $   I dont know what to tell it to get in I know you know its a
> >bash command I dont know I am knew at this can you help me,I have been
> >using suse its different,it uses auto log in but i know what the name
> >and password is I dont know what to tell sarge to get logged in,@debian
> >$  can some one help me please
> >

> When installing, it asked you to provide a password for root, and a user
> and password for a normal user.
>
> If you've forgotten those passwords, it's possible to get around the
> problem, but it might be easier as a newbie just to reinstall.
>
> Once you're logged in, you'll probably need to install X (the graphical
> system). As root, run the command "aptitude install x-window-system kde
> gnome icewm" and after that is finished, you should be able to reboot
> into a graphical environment (a reboot is not necessary, but it's
> probably the easiest route for a newbie to understand).

If that is not very clear to you, try the following, starting from your
'something@debian:~$' prompt -- I've marked the things you type by
putting them in curly braces {} but you do NOT type the curly braces,
just what is inside them. My comments are between *** markers ***. Some
of the text you see on your screen may be a little different.

    something@debian:~$ {logout}
                  *** If you already logged out, or rebooted, then
                      start here:***

    Debian Gnu/Linux stable debian tty1

    debian login: {root}
    Password: {[give the root password you chose during install]}

    Last login....***several lines of text come here***
    permitted by applicable law.
    debian:~# {apt-get update}
    0% [Connecting to...
                  ***lots of printout will happen
                     while it updates its database***

    debian:~# {apt-get install kde kdm}
                  ***again wait for the processes to
                     finish working and printing stuff
                     to screen***
                  ***If you get a message saying
                     WARNING: The following packages cannot be
                     authenticated! ...
                     Install these packages without verification!
                     [y/N]?
                     then you'd better say 'y' this time.***

    debian:~# shutdown -r now

And after that, your computer should probably restart in a graphic logon
screen.

Once you have kde running, you will be able to find your way more
easily.  Its package manager should be installed as part of KDE, so you
will easily be able to install other packages of software that you want.
Look in 'tools' or 'system' for the package manager ('kpackagemanger',
IIRC).

HTH

--
richard