Re: apt-get update public key problem

On Wednesday,  4 January 2006 at 20:58:05 -0500, Rick Friedman wrote:
> On Wed January 4 2006 12:28 pm, Tom wrote:
> > [04/01/2006 -- 18:10u] Rick Friedman:
> > > I (as well as others) was having this problem as well untill I saw a
> > > message from a Mr. Joey Hess. As per Mr. Hess' instructions, run the
> > > following command line:
> > >
> > > wget http://ftp-master.debian.org/ziyi_key_2006.asc -O - | sudo apt-key
> > > add -
> > >
> > > Once I ran that, the key problem vanished.
> >
> > Maybe the problem vanished for people using the us mirror, but
> > ftp.de.debian.org surely isn't okay just yet. I assume other mirrors
> > have the same problem, or if it's not about the mirrors: other people
> > have the same problem.
>
> Touché. I didn't realize that using the US mirror made a difference. Hmmm.

Hmmm... I wish I understood GPG.  FWIW, below is what I just got one of
my sid systems after running the wget/apt-key command above. Prior to
that I got a list of GPG errors, one for each mirror in
sources.list, so the european mirrors are all dealt with by the added
key.  I don't know what the "Bizarre Error" is all about though!

(I've pruned out the detailed hits for brevity):

bordello:/home/richard# apt-get update
Get:1 http://debian.uni-essen.de sid Release.gpg [378B]
Hit http://debian.uni-essen.de sid Release
[...]
Get:2 ftp://mirror.ox.ac.uk sid Release.gpg [378B]
Get:3 ftp://ftp.nerim.net sid Release.gpg [189B]
Hit ftp://mirror.ox.ac.uk sid Release
Hit ftp://ftp.nerim.net sid Release
Ign ftp://ftp.nerim.net sid Release
Get:4 ftp://mirror.ox.ac.uk sid/main Packages [2970kB]
Hit ftp://ftp.nerim.net sid/main Packages
Get:5 ftp://ftp.unina.it sid Release.gpg [378B]
Hit ftp://ftp.unina.it sid Release
[...]
Hit ftp://mirror.ox.ac.uk sid/non-free Packages
[...]
Fetched 2972kB in 1m10s (42.4kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.nerim.net sid Release: The following signatures
couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY
07DC563D1F41B907
W: Bizarre Error - File size is not what the server reported 2970292
3951594

richard