Re: OT: Subscribed addresses with auto-reply anti-spam systems

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:05, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Scott Muir wrote:
> > It sounds like someone sent out a test emailing to all the subscribers
> > to see who the "offender" is, and I don't know what the result of that
> > test was.  I also know nothing of what kind of access the maintainers
> > have to the list software but I have some ideas.
>
> I know of no such event. There *was* an attempt by one subscriber,
> using mined e-mail addresses, to find the culprit, but to no
> avail. AFAIK, nothing has been done by the list manager(s) to
> ascertain who be the culprit(s).

I received an email
		Subject: Debian-Bounce-Test ajv-lists@netspace.net.au Thu, 22 Dec 2005
			23:45:25 -0600
		From: Debian Listmasters <petsupermarket@murphy.debian.org>
in December.

Would your filtering have seen the petsupermarket and dropped the message?
Or did this message only go to some subscribers?

> > I am thinking if the test email didn't produce any results, the address
> > it was sent from was probably pre-validated.
>
> Not likely. More likely, the list of addresses was incomplete.

The headers (in the test email) contained List-Id: <none>, so if someone was
forwarding only particular lists/emails to petsupermarket, then this might
not have matched the .forward rule.

Andrew