Re: Rsync options

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 08:55:30AM -0500, Ed Curtis wrote:
}
}  I'm rsyncing some directories to an offsite machine for backup purposes
} and am running into some problems with permissions. I'd like to keep the
} same owner,group and permissions on each file rsync'd. I've tried
}
} rsync -a {src} user@{host}:/{dest}
}
} and
}
} rsync -pog {src} user@{host}:/{dest}
}
} and the owner always gets changed to "daemon" and the group to "users".
} The file permissions seem to be preserved with either option set. What do
} I need to keep the same owner,group?

The destination machine may need to run its rsync server as root to be able
to set a user/group id; an ordinary user cannot chown a file to another
user (or arbitrary user id), nor chgrp a file to a group to which the user
does not belong. I expect that your rsync server is running as daemon:users
and does not have permission to chown/chgrp as you need it to.

You may find that tar copzf suits your needs better than rsync in this
situation.

} Thanks,
} Ed
--Greg