Re: determine correct dpi settings for X

> On 1/3/06, LeVA <leva@az.isten.hu> wrote:
> > 2006. január 3. 13:17,
> > Gonzalo HIGUERA DÍAZ <gonhidi@gmail.com>
> > -> debian-user@lists.debian.org,:
> > > Measure the monitor's height and width in inches and manually
> > > calculate the horizontal and vertical dots per inch for your preferred
> > > resolution, or measure it in centimetres and let the Xorg server do it
> > > for you. A partial quote from "/usr/share/doc/x11-common/FAQ.gz":
> > >
> > > """
> > > How do I set the DPI (dots-per-inch) value used by the X server?
> > >
> > >    Two ways to get an accurate DPI value to your application are:
> > >     1. pass the -dpi option to the X server (this also works for many
> > >        non-XFree86/Xorg X servers); or
> > >     2. let the XFree86/Xorg X server calculate the DPI value based on the
> > >        DisplaySize parameter in its configuration file, XF86Config-4 or
> > >        xorg.conf. See the XF86Config-4(5x) or xorg.conf(5x) manual page
> > >        for details.
> > >
> > >    The first method is recommended if you already know the DPI value of
> > >    your monitor and wish to always run it at the same resolution; the
> > >    second method is the more flexible way, but only available for the
> > >    XFree86 and Xorg X servers.
> > >
> > >    [...]
> > Cool, thanks!
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > --
> > LeVA
> >

> for the impatient add this line to the XF86Config/xorg.conf monitor section:
>
>    DisplaySize xxx yyy
>
> where xxx and yyy are width and height of the viewable area in millimeters.
>
> you can get dpi (and more) info via xdpyinfo, ie: $ xdpyinfo|less

If you find that xdpyinfo doesn't show updated dpi settings, it may
well be that you have forgotten to remove the -dpi option passed to
the X server on startup (the file to edit depends on the startup
method, such as startx, wdm or xdm).

--
Gonzalo HIGUERA DÍAZ <gonhidi@gmail.com>