Re: determine correct dpi settings for X

> Hi!
>
> How can I determine my correct (real) dpi settings for X? I'm searching for a
> method which is like the one in the Firefox browser. There is a small line in
> a window, which I can measure, and then enter the real size of the line (in
> centimeters or inches). But what if I do not have firefox browser installed?

Measure the monitor's height and width in inches and manually
calculate the horizontal and vertical dots per inch for your preferred
resolution, or measure it in centimetres and let the Xorg server do it
for you. A partial quote from "/usr/share/doc/x11-common/FAQ.gz":

"""
How do I set the DPI (dots-per-inch) value used by the X server?

   Two ways to get an accurate DPI value to your application are:
    1. pass the -dpi option to the X server (this also works for many
       non-XFree86/Xorg X servers); or
    2. let the XFree86/Xorg X server calculate the DPI value based on the
       DisplaySize parameter in its configuration file, XF86Config-4 or
       xorg.conf. See the XF86Config-4(5x) or xorg.conf(5x) manual page
       for details.

   The first method is recommended if you already know the DPI value of
   your monitor and wish to always run it at the same resolution; the
   second method is the more flexible way, but only available for the
   XFree86 and Xorg X servers.

   [...]

"""

--