Re: Older platform compatiblity with Debian

"Riley, James F  (US SSA)" <james.f.riley@baesystems.com> writes:

> I am new to Linux in general and I am trying to find out the
> compatibility of use some version of Debian Linux with and older
> personal computer. The systems I am thinking of switching is a ten
> year pc currently running a full install of Windows98. The pc has a
> 166MHz.  Cyrix Processor, 64 Mbytes of RAM, and 1 Byte Hard
> Drive. Would anyone know where I can locate the information that I
> need to install Debian with this micro processor.

As long as you stay away from some memory or CPU hungry packages, you
should be fine with a regular Debian install. (This is assuming you
don't really have a 1 byte hard drive. ;-)

In particular, if it can handle Windows 98, it can certainly handle
Debian.