Re: X configuration (amd64)

On 1/2/06, David L. Johnson <david.johnson@lehigh.edu> wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:57:53 -0500
Aaron Stromas <passogiau@gmail.com > wrote:

> > >I've installed amd64 etch and moved on to setting up X. I got iver the
> > >nVidia card hurdle and run
> > >
> > >apt-get install x-window-system
> > >apt-get install gnome
> > >apt-get install kde
> > >
> > >(trying to avoid restarting the gnome vs. kde flames :))
> > >
> > >X starts fine using both GNOME and KDE,

How do you know that?  What signs are there that one, or both, of these is
running?

no, either one or the other. first tried GNOME, then KDE

> the login screen collects
> > >password, I get the spalsh screen and it shows the first load step

Which login screen, xdm or gdm?  If gdm, you can log into a termninal to fix
the ~/.xession problems.  I presume you can with xdm as well.

gdm. Can I? I don't recall (I'm not at the console right now) anything on the login screen suggesting a terminal client.

> > >(?), i.e. the icon the debian sqauare with the caption "Window
> > >Manager" but it stops there, no additional loads happen.

It may be that your ~/.xsession (or the defaut one) has both kde and gnome,
somehow.  It shouldn't, of course.  Your ~/.xsession should end with

exec gnome-session

(no & after that).  This presumes you want to start with gnome.  kde users
will tell you what to do for that.

No ~/.xsession. But got ~/.xsession-errors:

ams@sella:~$ cat .xsession-errors
Xsession: X session started for ams at Mon Jan  2 12:21:57 EST 2006
SESSION_MANAGER=local/sella:/tmp/.ICE-unix/4446
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (-3)
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-ams"
Link points to "/tmp/kde-ams"
kbuildsycoca running...
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

Thanks, it gives me a direction to follow.

-a

--

David L. Johnson

  __o   | Let's be straight here.  If we find something we can't
_`\(,_  | understand we like to call it something you can't understand, or
(_)/ (_) | indeed even pronounce.  -- Douglas Adams