Re: New kernel unable to mount/see a whole HD

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 05:57, J.F. Gratton wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 10:03 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:

> > > This may seem a bit obvious, but did you try to copy
> > > config-currentkernel that relates to your old install (from /boot),
> > > rename it to .config and put it into your source path for the new
> > > kernel.  That should give you the exact same config that you are
> > > currently using.  Then you could just run the configure program (make
> > > menuconfig) for the kernel to select or unselect any other features.
[...]
> > As an infrequent builder of special kernels, I have found it useful to
> > insert another step into the above procedure. Before I make my changes
> > to .config, I do a trial run of compiling. That is to say, I compile,
> > as best I can, the same kernel as is given in the Debian distribution.
[...]
> Well I tried your (Michael and Paul's) ways (which, btw used to be the
[...]
> A bit of info I did not have -because I did not think of it- before:
> cfdisk /dev/hda shows the drive and partitions. It just won't mount
> them !! mount -t vfat /dev/hdaX will get me a "device busy". It _is_
> annoying.
>
> The only real differences between the distro-provided kernel and the one
> I want to build is basically I want some amd64 specific tweaks, I want
> to get rid of the initrd and prevent compiling of many useless modules;
> nothing really esoteric per se.
>
> I _am_ stumped...
>
> -- Jeff

Hi Jeff

Your original dmesg-2.6.14.5 showed the following error repeated 20+ times
[   16.627169] device-mapper: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
[   16.627195] device-mapper: error adding target to table

I'm not sure what it means, but thats where I'd start.

HTH
Andrew