Re: Should users have to manually modprobe to use standard peripherals?

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 12:39:31AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> Twice this week, I've had to become superuser and install kernel modules
> manually to make standard peripherals work.  This seems broken to me.
>
> (...)
>
> So: what package does one report "the proper modules didn't load
> automatically" against?  I must admit, with the current flux I'm not sure
> which program is responsible for detecting hardware.  Hotplug?

I think hotplug detects new hardware but the place where it looks for the right
module is (please correct me if I'm wrong!) e. g.
/lib/modules/kernel_version/modules.usbmap

It might be interesting
1. what messages you get when plugging the device in
2. whether the vendor and product id are detected correctly (somewhere in /proc)
3. whether there are the right entries for these vendor and product id's in (see
above).

Regards
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller