Should users have to manually modprobe to use standard peripherals?

Twice this week, I've had to become superuser and install kernel modules
manually to make standard peripherals work.  This seems broken to me.

First I had to modprobe usblp to make my Laserjet 1012 work.  Then I had to
modprobe visor to make synchronization with my Palm Tungsten T3 work.

I'm currently using linux-image-2.6.12-1-k7.  I don't recall having to do
that under previous kernel versions.  (I'm running Etch.)

Users should not, in my not-very-humble-opinion, ever have to become
superuser to print.  For me, an experienced system administrator, this only
wasted half an hour of my life until I figured out the problem.  (Printing
to a USB printer using CUPS is ridiculously complex, and when a step fails
it seemingly never gives a useful error message.)  For a naive user it might
mean "Let's just go to Windows, where printing works."

The visor thing actually threw me completely.  I just today figured out how
to sync again after losing the ability back in August (and posting a
non-answered request for help here in September).  Incredibly annoying.

So: what package does one report "the proper modules didn't load
automatically" against?  I must admit, with the current flux I'm not sure
which program is responsible for detecting hardware.  Hotplug?
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.