Re: Checking Filesystems

michael wrote:

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 04:24:59PM -0500, Tim McDonough wrote:

Recently when running backups from Windows machines I've started getting errors that say one or more files don't verify correctly. They are not files that are in use at the time of the backup or verify and if I perform multiple backups in a row different files will not verify. On the last instance of this happening there were 3 files out of several thousand that did not verify correctly.

you don't say either way, but don't use WinXX, go to Hibernate, then
boot to Linux, then back to WinXX since it'll wonder why files have
changed during hibernation

The Windows XP machine is not going into hibernate, etc. Earlier this evening I even tried doing some smaller test backups of just a few hundred files that I know are not being changed by any other application. Using the backup program built into Windows I made backups of the same files 5 times in all. Twice there were 1-3 files that did not verify (different files each time) and three times the verify was sucessful.

I tried an older Linux machine I have as well (RH 8, 200MHz PII) and the backups worked fine in each case.

I don't believe the drive can be easily swapped to a different machine because of motherboard differences but I may add in a second spare drive I have and see if there are still problems and/or just swap out the present drive for a different one.

Tim