Upgraded from 512 to 1024 ram. Now, how to fine tune the system?

Just bought an extra 512mb ram module, to add to my existing 512mb. Free reports the total correctly, but i was wondering if is there any way that i fine tune my system for better use of this memory. That's the first time i run a 1gb pc :)!
Any help?

specs are:

mobo abit  kv8-pro 754 (k8t800pro and via vt8237 south)
sempron 2600
1 Gb mem
pixel view tv capture card
onboard sound & eth

i do some video/audio editing and lots of gimp editing, as a top mem-consuming tasks.