Re: hard drive access

On Thursday 06 October 2005 22:15, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>This past Saturday my main workstation at home quit on me.
> Unfortunately this happened while I was away for the day.  When I
> arrived home the system was beeping (a continuous cycle of 1 second
> beep followed by 4 seconds of silence). Originally, I thought it was a
> failed power supply.  Antec tech support disagreed with me and referred
> me to the motherboard manufacturer (Biostar). Their tech support said
> that the beep code indicated either a dead CPU or a corrupted BIOS.
> After I explained that removing the RAM, CPU and video card resulted in
> exactly the same beeping, the tech said he was reasonably certain it
> was the BIOS.  So, to make a long story short, they are sending me a
> new BIOS chip to install.

And BIOSTAR didn't mention the failed caps problem?  Odd.  Take a
look at the top of all those capacitors lined up in a row around the
cpu.  Pay attention to any bulging of the tops, and to any leakage
onto the motherboard visible at the bases, it is probably an off
white color.

Either condition should be grounds to replace all of those
capacitors.  We've salvaged several of their motherboards, and if you
have access to the right soldering tools, its not that difficult a
job.  I think they got caught in the bad capacitors thing that got a
lot of Taiwanese makers about 4 years ago.  Be sure and use high
quality, low esr rated parts.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)