Re: module psmouse missing on boot, mouse doesn't work.

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:12:03AM +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Søren Christensen (<severino@ulvedalen.dk>) wrote:

> >> Did you compile your own kernel?  If not, the psmouse module should
> >> be in /lib/modules/[version]/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko
> >> If you can't find it there, you may need to reinstall kernel-image or
> >> linux-image.
> >>
> > I use a stock-kernel (2.4.27-386)
>
> All the 2.4 kernels have the psmouse driver compiled into the kernel,
> not as an external module. That is why the module is not there and
> cannot be loaded. Do you have an PS/2 or an USB mouse?

I have a PS/2 mouse, but it's connected via a switch (two computers
share mouse, keyborad and screen).

If the psmouse-module is compiled into the kernel, why then does it look
for it as a module on boot?

Now I handle the problem this way:

After boot, when gdm has started and the mouse-pointer is frozen in the
middle of the screen, I swtich to a console and do this as root:
# /etc/init.d/gpm stop
# /etc/init.d/gdm stop
# /etc/init.d/gpm start
# /etc/init.d/gdm start