Re: module psmouse missing on boot, mouse doesn't work.

Hello

Søren Christensen (<severino@ulvedalen.dk>) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 12:44:11PM -0400, Bill Marcum wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:30:54AM +0200, Søren Christensen wrote:
>>
>>> I've had some troubles with my mouse, after most reboots it
>>> wouldn't work, only after some (>1) dpkg-reconfigure
>>> xserver-xfree86 and reboots and stopping and restarting gdm several
>>> times, it would come to life.
>>>
>>> During a reboot now i just saw this message:
>>> ide-detect ide-disk psmouse modprobe: can't locate module psmouse
>>>
>>> I think that is the fault. Where do I find that module, and how can
>>> I make it a part of my installation.
>>>
>> Did you compile your own kernel?  If not, the psmouse module should
>> be in /lib/modules/[version]/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko
>> If you can't find it there, you may need to reinstall kernel-image or
>> linux-image.
>>
> I use a stock-kernel (2.4.27-386)

All the 2.4 kernels have the psmouse driver compiled into the kernel,
not as an external module. That is why the module is not there and
cannot be loaded. Do you have an PS/2 or an USB mouse?

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976