Re: Want to move from root LVM/LILO to LVM/Grub

John Schmidt wrote:

On Friday 30 September 2005 05:03 pm, Jason Martens wrote:
Hey all,
  I kind of got myself into a pickle.  I just installed Debian Sarge on
a new server, and I used the expert mode for installation.  That all
went fine, and I created one large partition for LVM, and created a root
partition in a volume group, so right now my root partition is at
/dev/mapper/vg00-root.  However, I didn't see an option to install grub
as the default boot loader in expert mode during the installation, so I
went ahead and installed lilo.  This worked fine, and I was able to boot
the system without a problem. However, now I want to install grub again,
because I like it more. But when I run grub-install /dev/sda, I get the
following error message:

hostname:~# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
/dev/mapper/vg00-root does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

and it refuses to install.  How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Jason Martens

I believe your /boot partition needs to be on a non LVM partition.

John

Well, I can boot just fine with a root partition on the LVM volume using LILO. I believe this is because my initrd has the LVM drivers included, so it can recognize the root partition.

Jason