Re: X problems after dist-upgrade

Fred J. wrote:

>Hello
>
>I have bee struggling with this problem for a while
>not, I would appreciate some help in fix it. I am not
>able to boot into wdm or X.
>
>I just did an #apt-get dist-upgrade from woody to the
>testing tree. Also I upgrade to kernel 2.6.12-1-686
>My system was working good but now I have a problem
>with the wdm (window manager) and X. Which is what I
>need fixed.
>the system boots fine but does not show the wdm it
>used to show before.

Do you mean display manager (GUI login screen) or window
manager/environment (wmaker vs KDE vs Icewm vs Gnome, etc)?

I'm assuming you mean display manager, since you specifically mention
"wdm". You don't indicate if another display manager is starting or not.

I suggest you try:

    dpkg-reconfigure wdm

or
    dpkg-reconfigure xdm

or

    dpkg-reconfigure gdm

Depending on what you have installed, one of these will probably let you
reset wdm as your display manager. If it's not available as a choice,
try reinstalling wdm:

    apt-get install wdm

--
Kent West