Re: x window / starting the desktop

Hello

Janeque Peterson (<janeque.peterson@sbcglobal.net>) wrote:

> Needless to say I'm very new to this. I tried starting the x window
> (although I don't have a very clear idea what it is exactly) with the
> "startx' command, also I tried 'start kde'. I got a command not found
> to both. Then, to make sure my x configuration is right, I did
> 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' (thanks, Chris). The response was
> package 'xserver-xfree86' is not installed and no info is available.
> Where do I go from here?

Install the packages you need to get a graphical environment. The
standard way would probably be to select "desktop environment" in
tasksel directly after installing the base system (you can still run
tasksel now). However this was you woulg get both Gnome and KDE which
you probably won't need. Just run

apt-get install kde x-window-system-core

You will be asked for the configuration of the X server. You can rerun
this dialog later by using

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

best regards
        Andreas Janssen