Re: x window / starting the desktop

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 10:04:10AM -0700, Janeque Peterson wrote:

>    Needless to say I'm very new to this. I tried starting the x window
>    (although I don't have a very clear idea what it is exactly) with the
>    "startx' command, also I tried 'start kde'. I got a command not found to
>    both. Then, to make sure my x configuration is right, I did
>    'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' (thanks, Chris). The response was
>    package 'xserver-xfree86' is not installed and no info is available. Where
>    do I go from here?

Which distribution are you using? sarge (stable) or testing?

In any case, make sure you do apt-get install x-window-system-core to
fetch basic X server stuff. Then, ``apt-get install kde-core kdm''
will give you minimal kde components and kdm. Once you have configured
X, which is a part of the above mentioned apt-get command, say
`/etc/init.d/kdm start' to start the X server.

HTH.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,