RE: Debian Sarge - kernel 2.6 problem

I agree this is a serious bug - the debian installer guys should pay close attention to that !!! The linux26 is currently not installable on many PC's with SATA disks and IDE CDROM's. The problem is probably caused by the broken ata-piix/SATA driver being loaded before ide-cd driver and locking the PATA channell.

There is workaround to this:

1. boot the sarge CD and type "linux26" at the prompt
2. switch to second virtual console (Alt-F2) as soon as the language selection screen appears
3. manually load ide CD drivers by typing:
  # modprobe piix ide-generic ide-cd
4. Return to first console and continue setup
5. Setup the debian system and install newer 2.6 kernel:
  # apt-get install linux-image-2.6.12

Krystof