Re: alsa and oss configuration

hi,

/dev/dsp and /dev/mixer are the device-files used by OSS (and therefore
also by the OSS emulation-layer in ALSA). Native ALSA applications like
alsaconf, alsamixer, and aplay use a different set of device files---the
ones in the /dev/snd/ directory.  It sounds like maybe those device
files do not exist or are not being created.
ok, this seems to be clear now. none of alsa-native applications work for me - they give different sorts of errors, similar to one given above. the problem with permissions was my mistake - i added myself to the audio group but didn't logout and login (is there any better way how to "update" the group information)? after it, it seems to be ok...

moreover, all other problems seem to be solved now. alsamixer works, xmms through alsa works... the only thing that doesn't work (in a sense that it doesn't detect anything) is alsaconf... in accord with the text you wrote:
> Alsaconf, AFAIK, will only work if you use modules for audio support
> (rather than compiling support in to the kernel). And it's my general
> sense that ALSA is really designed with kernel modules in mind.

what disturbs me that e.g. alsamixer didn't work for me as root and now it works... however i didn't make any changes with respect to root's account...

I assume you're using udev (since you're using the 2.6.11 kernel)? That
will normally create the needed nodes in /dev/snd at boot time. But it
might be worth checking that they are there.
i really don't know whether i use udev or not, in this respect i'm a newbie. if it is default for amd64 testing and 2.6.11 kernel, then yes... i checked /dev/snd. the directory is there with many files in it. they are owned by root/audio with 660 permissions.

Maybe you should recompile using modules, then run alsaconf?  That
usually does a good job of setting things up as long as there is only
one soundcard in the system,
well, since it works i think i will leave it as it is :)

thank you for your help.

best regards,

--
Lubos