[OT] Re: Best way to document console steps on a web page?

Apparently, _Lee Braiden_, on 03/05/05 04:44,typed:
> On Tuesday 03 May 2005 00:56, Peter Sebastian Masny wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Features I would like:
>>
>>- console prompt support.  This has two aspects:
>>   -- Copying text off of the web page selects only the code
>>      and not the prompt or comments
>>   -- Preformatting with appropriate prompts/colors
>>         <user>su</user>
>>         <root>cd install</root>
>>- search
>>- looks nice
>>- a table of contents
>>- ability for others to add comments
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>

> Use CSS to modify the style of the code element.  You'll probably want to
> display it as a block, enable an unnumbered list style, and set the bullet to
> "$ " or something similar.  When you're done, you'll be able to just write:
>
> <code>ls -l<br/>
> drwxr-xr-x 2 joe  joe        55 Mar 12 19:55 File1<br/>
> drwxr-xr-x 3 joe  joe        2 Mar  14 19:55 File2</code>
>
> and have it display as:
>
> ------------------------------------------------------|
> | $ ls -l                                             |
> | drwxr-xr-x 2 joe  joe        55 Mar 12 19:55 File1  |
> | drwxr-xr-x 3 joe  joe        2 Mar  14 19:55 File2  |

This is interesting. I have been putting "$>" signs myself when I put
code on a webpage, but use a box and fixed type font. I presume you have
done something like this but are leaving the detials out in the above
example. For instance, shouldnt' there be a "$" sign on every line?

->HS

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.